Drop Dead Red is drop dead gorgeous! This is a fabulous mix of large (4"–5"), long-lasting, florist-quality flowers. 'Moulin Rouge', 'Red Wave', 'Ruby Eclipse', and 'Joker' come in several shades of red from deep burgundy and steamy valentine red, to autumnal pumpkin/orange-red, and bicolors. These tall, branching plants are ideal for the back of the garden, or as a border. Plant only 10" apart to produce longer stems. As a pollenless hybrid, there'll be no more messy pollen drop from your gorgeous cut flower arrangements, but still plenty of nectar for pollinators. Drought tolerant, but best flower production with regular water.
• Botanical Name: Helianthus annuus (hybrid)
• Family: Asteraceae
• Native: North America
• Hardiness: Annual
• Plant Dimensions: 6' tall on average
• Variety Information: 4"–5" deep red, pollenless flowers in various shades of red.
• Exposure: Full sun
• Bloom Period: Summer to frost
• Attributes: Attracts Pollinators, Cut Flower, Drought Tolerant, Heat Tolerant
• When to Sow Outside: RECOMMENDED. 1 to 2 weeks after your average last frost date.
• When to Start Inside: 2 to 4 weeks before your average last frost date. Sunflowers are senstive to root disturbance; sow in biodegradable pots that can be planted directly in the ground.
• Days to Emerge: 10–15 days
• Seed Depth: ¼"–½"
• Seed Spacing: A group of 3 seeds every 18"–24"
• Thinning: When 3" tall, thin to 1 every 18"–24"