A beautiful mix of majestic colors, the Royal series has larger flowers than most sweet pea varieties, and heat resistance for a longer blooming period. Grow sweet peas on a trellis, fence, or porch rail to call in the pollinators. Bring the cut flowers indoors to sweeten the house with their perfume and old-fashioned charm.
• Botanical Name: Lathyrus odoratus
• Family: Fabaceae
• Native: Italy
• Hardiness: Frost-tolerant annual
• Plant Dimensions: 5'–6' vines
• Variety Information: 1"–2" flowers in shades of purple, red, rose, white, pink, blue, scarlet, cream, and salmon.
• Exposure: Full sun to part shade
• Bloom Period: Spring/summer
• Attributes: Attracts Pollinators, Cut Flower, Deer Resistant, Heat Tolerant
• When to Sow Outside: RECOMMENDED. Cold Climates: 4 to 6 weeks before your average last frost date, or as soon as the soil can be worked. Mild Climates: Late fall to early winter for spring bloom. Ideal temperature is 55°–65°F.
• When to Start Inside: 4 to 6 weeks before your average last frost date. Sow in biodegradable pots and grow in cool conditions (55°F or below).
• Days to Emerge: 10–21 days
• Seed Depth: 1"
• Seed Spacing: A group of 3 seeds every 6"
• Thinning: When 3" tall, thin to 1 every 6"